Of course, with Autumn comes fall time treats such as caramel apples, hot chocolate, and pumpkin pie. So to begin the fall time baking season I decided to make Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. My family really enjoyed them, even the ones that don't usually like these kinds of things. Theses whoopie pies are a very nice autumn treat.
- 3 c flour
- 2 T cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c vegetable oil
- 1 (15oz) can of pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together brown sugar, sugar, vegetable oil and pumpkin. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each. Add vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, and all spice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Using a pastry bag (or baggie with corner snipped off) make circles of the same size. (Swirl from the center out.)
- Bake for about 11 minutes. Cool.
- While pie halves are cooling make filling.
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2-4 c powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Cream together cream cheese and butter. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Spread filling on flat sides of the pie halves and top with another.
- Optional - Chill for about 1-2 hours. Wrap individually with plastic wrap.
These are great fresh but even better chilled.