- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 c lemon juice
- 1 c milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is light. Whisk in the cornstarch. Gradually whisk in the lemon juice, then whisk in the milk.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add to the lemon mixture by folding it in with the whisk (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into an 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
The original recipe called for flour but I decided to make it gluten free since my mom has celiacs. If you want the top to be more cake-like, then exchange the cornstarch with flour and don't put in the baking powder. If you want the top to be more meringue-like, then reduce the cornstarch to 1 tablespoon. I also doubled the recipe and used a 9x13 dish.
"O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him."